Applied Mathematics and Signal Processing
Professor at UCLouvain
Institute of Information and Communication Technologies, Electronics and Applied Mathematics (ICTEAM)
Funded by the Belgian National Science Foundation - FRS-FNRS
+32 10 47 81 24 (fax: +32 10 47 20 89)
Office A.157 (1st floor)
Place du Levant 2, PO box L5.04.04
Well, here is "yet another" scientific homepage ;-)
I collect in these pages data and recent news about my research and interests. These are also the result of collaborative works with other researchers. Feel free to discover these topics by browsing the menu here on the left, or on on Google Scholar.
Main fields of interest:
- Compressed Sensing: theory, quantization, robustness and sensors.
- Inverse problems solving by promoting a sparse signal models.
- Applied mathematics for Optics (Deflectometry), Astronomy (Radio-Interferometry) and biomedical applications (X-Ray Imaging).
- Random projections (seen as dimensionality reduction tool) and cryptographic applications.
- Theoretical questions linked to new design of sensors (e.g., cameras, optical sensors, tomography).
- Representation of data on "non-conventional" spaces (e.g., sphere, manifolds, or graphs).
PhD-Students and Postdoc (in link with these fields)
(advisor, coadvisor or collaborator on a day-to-day basis)
- Adriana Gonzalez Gonzalez (PhD-student)
- Maxime Taquet (PhD-student)
- Damien Jacobs (PhD-student)
- Prasad Sudhakar (Postdoc, DETROIT project)
- May 17, 2013: Joint work with D.K. Hammond and J. Fadili about "Stabilizing Nonuniformly Quantized Compressed Sensing with Scalar Companders" updated on arXiv:1206.6003 (improved explanations and emphasis on GGD noisy CS)
- May 9, 2013: New technical report associated to an accepted paper in Sampta 13, Bremen, Germany: "Quantized Iterative Hard Thresholding: Bridging 1-bit and High-Resolution Quantized Compressed Sensing", co-written with Kévin Degraux and Christophe De Vleeschouwer, arXiv:1305.1786
- April 15, 2013: Two previously submitted papers (on Compressive Optical Deflectometry and Quantized Iterative Hard Thresholding in Compressed Sensing) accepted in SAMPTA2013. Revised preprints will be available soon here and on arxiv.
- April, 2013: Popularized explanation of my research (in French) in the Athena magazine (April issue) of SPW.
Pdf excerpt here or access to the all document here.
Text written by Paul Devuyst.
- April 8, 2013: (for UCL students) 5 new master project propositions for 2013-2014. See the corresponding page
- February 28, 2013: Two previously submitted conference papers (see below) accepted to ICASSP13 (Vancouver, Canada). Both available on arXiv! See here.
- February 15, 2013: Two (invited) papers submitted to SAMPTA2013 (July 1st-5th, Bremen, Germany)
- November 30, 2012: Two conference papers submitted to ICASSP13 (Vancouver, Canada): (i) "Compressive Schlieren Deflectometry" with P. Sudhakar, myself, X. Dubois, P. Antoine, L. Joannes, and (ii) "Consistent Iterative Hard Thresholding for Signal Declipping" with S. Kitic, myslef, N. Madhu, M. P. Hopwood, A. Spriet, and C. De Vleeschouwer.
- November 21, 2012: Giving an invited seminar on "Compressed Sensing, Quantization and Applications" in Bell Labs Belgium (Alcatel-Lucent, Antwerp, Belgium).
- November 7, 2012: Update on the previous news: Here is a blog post by E. D'Angelo about "1-bit Linear Binary Descriptors Reconstruction" in "Computer don't see".
- November 6, 2012: New paper "From Bits to Images: Inversion of Local Binary Descriptors", by Emmanuel d'Angelo, Alexandre Alahi, Pierre Vandergheynst and myself submitted to IEEE TPAMI (preprint on arXiv:1211.1265).
* October 22&24, 2012: Research presentations in EPL/UCL and ICTEAM/UCL (short inaugural sessions).
- October 15, 2012: Tutorial proposal on "Modern Quantization Strategies for Compressive Sensing and Acquisition Systems" by Petros Boufounos and myself accepted in ICASSP13.
- October 1st, 2012: First day as an Research Associate funded by FRS-FNRS, and as a Professor in UCLouvain.
- September 4, 2012: New paper about "Compressive Optical Deflectometric Tomography: A Constrained Total-Variation Minimization Approach" written by A. Gonzalez, C. De Vleeschouwer, P. Antoine and myself submitted (arXiv:1209.0654).
- August 20th, 2012: Paper "A Comprehensive study of Image-based PUFs" written by S. Shariati, F.-X. Standaert, myself and B. Macq accepted in Journal of Cryptographic Engineering.
- July 2nd, 2012: Accepted as a "Research Associate"/"Chercheur Qualifié" (funded by the Belgian National Science Foundation -- FRS-FNRS) in the Université catholique de Louvain (UCL) in Belgium (Officially starting in October 1st, 2012) !!
- June 26th, 2012: Joint work with D.K. Hammond and J. Fadili about "Stabilizing Nonuniformly Quantized Compressed Sensing with Scalar Companders" just submitted! (this represents two years of work ;-) Preprint here. Related matlab code will be available soon.
- May 10th, 2012: Presentation at iTWIST2012 on "Compressed Sensing and Quantization: a Compander Approach". Joint work with D. Hammond (U. Oregon, USA) and J. Fadili (GREYC, Caen, France).
- May 9th, 2012: Presentation of Adriana Gonzalez (ELEN/ICTEAM, UCL) at iTWIST2012 on "TV−L2 Refractive Index Map Reconstruction from Polar Domain Deflectometry". Joint work with myself, C. De Vleeschouwer (ELEN/ICTEAM, UCL) and P. Antoine (NAPS/IMCN, UCL).
- May 9-11, 2012: Co-organizing the 1st iTWIST Workshop on "international - Traveling Workshop for Interacting Sparse models and Technology" in CIRM, Marseilles, France. (program available here).
- March 28-30, 2012: Inviting Prof. Jalal Fadili (ENSICaen, France) for a doctoral lecture on "Exploring inverse problems with non-smooth optimization and sparse representations" in the MUSICS doctoral school program.
- March 22, 2012: Invited by P. Chainais and P. Bas to give a talk on "What can we learn from the Compressed Sensing theory?" in LAGIS, Ecole Centrale de Lille, France.
- February 6-8, 2012: Invited as Master Project expert at EPFL by Pr P. Frossard for two works on "Geometric group sparsity in image analysis" by A. Fawzi and "Efficient Depth Based Image Rendering for Virtual Views Synthesis" by G. Chevtchenko. New presentation of "Robust 1-Bit Compressive Sensing: How the Sign of Random Projections Distinguishes Sparse Vectors".
- January 31, 2012: the paper "The PANOPTIC Camera: A Plenoptic Sensor with Real-Time Omnidirectional Capability" by H. Afshari, L. Jacques, L. Bagnato, A. Schmid, P. Vandergheynst and Y. Leblebici, has been accepted in the Journal of Signal Processing Systems.
- January 16-18, 2012: Attending the MIA'12 - Mathematics and Image Analysis 2012.
... (older news)
"Toute connaissance accessible doit être atteinte par des voies scientifiques ;
ce que la science ne peut pas découvrir, l’humanité ne peut pas le savoir".
-- Bertrand Russell
"Science sans conscience n'est que ruine de l'âme." -- F. Rabelais
"Pseudo-Science n'est que ruine de l'âme." Lisez AFIS