Applied Mathematics and Signal Processing
Professor at UCLouvain
Institute of Information and Communication Technologies, Electronics and Applied Mathematics (ICTEAM)
Funded by the Belgian National Science Foundation - FRS-FNRS
+32 10 47 80 54 (fax: +32 10 47 20 89)
Image and Signal Processing Group (ISPGroup), ICTEAM/ELEN
Office address: A.026, Euler building, Louvain-la-Neuve
Mail address: INMA/ICTEAM, Avenue Georges Lemaître 4-6/L4.05.01, B1348 Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium
Well, here is "yet another" scientific homepage ;-)
I collect in these pages data and recent news about my research and interests. These are also the result of collaborative works with other researchers. Feel free to discover these topics by browsing the menu here on the left, or on on Google Scholar.
Main fields of interest:
- Inverse problems solving by promoting low-complexity signal models (e.g., sparse or low-rank models).
- 1-bit and high-resolution Quantized Compressed Sensing (QCS).
- Quantized random projections: theory and application (e.g., for machine learning or classification methods).
- Blind deconvolution, blind calibration and other data restoration problems
- Applied mathematics for Optics (Deflectometry), Astronomy (Radio-Interferometry) and biomedical applications (X-Ray Imaging).
- New models for sensor design (e.g., cameras, optical sensors, tomography, hyperspectral imaging).
- Representation of data on "non-conventional" spaces (e.g., sphere, manifolds, or graphs).
PhD-students and postdocs (in link with these fields)
- Stéphanie Guérit (PhD-student, TA UCL, co-advised with J. Lee)
- Pierre-Yves Gousenbourger (PhD-student, TA UCL, co-advised with P.-A. Absil)
- Amirafshar Moshtaghpour (PhD-student, FRIA/FNRS)
- Benoît Pairet (PhD-student, AlterSense Project, MIS-FNRS)
- Vincent Schellekens (PhD-student, FNRS)
Former PhD-students and postdocs
- Dr Chunlei Xu (Postdoc, AlterSense Project, MIS-FNRS, 2016-2018)
- Dr Kévin Degraux (2013-2018)
- Dr Valerio Cambareri (Postdoc, AlterSense Project, MIS-FNRS, 2015-2017)
- Dr Augustin Cosse (2010-2016, co-advised with L. Demanet)
- Dr Adriana Gonzalez Gonzalez (2010-2016)
- Dr Prasad Sudhakar (2011-2014, Postdoc, DETROIT project)
- Alexandre Saint (2011-2012, engineer, DETROIT project)
- Muhammad Arsalan (2014, PhD-student)
- May 2nd, 2018: Invited to give a talk on "Time for dithering! Quantized random embeddings with RIP random matrices" (slides in pdf and youtube video) at the Second Mini-workshop on "The Future of Random Projections" organized by Igor Carron (LightOn, Paris), Laurent Daudet (Paris Diderot & LightOn, Paris) and Florent Krzakala (ENS and LightOn, Paris).
- March 5-9, 2018: Invited by Simon Foucart for a short scientific stay at Texas A&M University. Giving a seminar on "Time for dithering! Quantized random embeddings with RIP random matrices" (slides here).
- December 18th, 2017: C. De Vleeschouwer and I have been awarded the 45th "de Boelpaepe" prize (2015-2016) by the Académie royale des sciences, des lettres et des beaux-arts de Belgique (Royal Academy of Science, Letters and Fine Arts of Belgium) for our scientific research on image processing with wavelet analysis and sparsity methods.
- December 12th, 2017: Invited speaker at "Journée thématique conjointe IEEE-CAS et GDR/SOC2 (SoC-SiP), 12 Décembre 2017, ParisTech", Paris, France.
Talk on "A quantized view on compressive sensing systems and compressive learning methods" (slides here)
- October 18th, 2017: Public PhD defense of (now Dr) Kévin Degraux on “Methods fr Solving Regularized Inverse Problems”. Congrats to him!
- August 30th, 2017: Organizing the Workshop on "Regularized Inverse Problem Solving and High-Dimensional Learning Methods". Plenary speakers: G. Peyré (ENS, Paris, France) and U. Kamilov (WUSTL, USA).
- July 3-7, 2017: Attending Sampta17, Tallinn, Estonia. Invited in the special session "Mathematical theory of quantization" organized by Sjoerd Dirksen and Rayan Saab. I gave a talk entitled "The Rare Eclipse Problem on Tiles: Quantized Embeddings of Disjoint Convex Sets" (joint work with V. Cambareri and C. Xu). See also arXiv:1702.04664 for the corresponding preprint.
- June 5-8, 2017: Attending SPARS17 (with 3 collaborative contributions)
- March 7, 2017: Organizing with Petros Boufounos the special session "SS-L10: Random Embeddings and Geometry-Preserving Dimensionality Reduction" at ICASSP'17, New Orleans, USA.
- February 16, 2017: Giving a talk at the URSI Forum (RMA, Belgium) on "A short introduction to compressive sensing, its applications and relatives".
- November 16, 2016: Organizing in UCL the regular workshop "FNRS Wavelet Contact Group on Wavelet and Applications" this time dedicated to random binary embeddings, compressive sensing and signal sampling on graphs, thanks to the invitation of Sjoerd Dirksen (RWTHAachen, Germany) and Gilles Puy (Technicolor, Rennes, France), the two plenary speakers.
- October 13, 2016: Public PhD defense of Augustin Cosse on "Semidefinite programming relaxations for matrix completion, inverse scattering and blind deconvolution" (picture of the day). Congrats to Dr Cosse!
- October 4-7, 2016: Visiting IRISA/INRIA, in the team of Remi Gribonval. Seminar on "A simple gradient descent algorithm for blind gain calibration of randomized sensing devices" and participation to the PhD "soutenance" of Marwa Chaffi (CentraleSupélec, Rennes, France).
- September 19-22, 2016: Invited speaker at CoSeRA 2016, Aachen, Germany. Talk on "A Non-Convex Blind Calibration Method for Randomised Sensing Strategies" (pdf slides), work done in collaboration with Valerio Cambareri.
- September 12th, 2016: 3 works submitted to ICASSP'17, New Orleans, USA (see here).
- September 8-9, 2016: Attending RBSM16 (Brussels, Belgium) with one poster on "Coded-Illumination Fourier Transform Interferometry", by A. Moshtaghpour (the presenter), V. Cambareri, K. Degraux, A. Gonzalez, M. Roblin, L. Jacques, and P. Antoine.
- August 24-26, 2016: Six (!) works accepted and presented by the members of ISPGroup in the 3rd "international Traveling Workshop on Interactions between Sparse models and Technology (iTWIST)", Aalborg, Denmark, 2016 (see here).
- July 5th, 2016: New paper submitted: "Time for dithering: fast and quantized random embeddings via the restricted isometry property", joint work with Valerio Cambareri.
- May 13, 2016: Public PhD defense of Adriana Gonzalez on "Solving Inverse Problems in Imaging using Robust and Regularized Optimization" (picture of the day). Congrats to Dr Gonzalez!
- May 9, 2016: New work: "A Non-Convex Blind Calibration Method for Randomised Sensing Strategies", by Valerio Cambareri and I, submitted to CoSeRa16 (arXiv:1605.02615, updated on May 19th)
- April 17, 2016: "Error Decay of (almost) Consistent Signal Estimations from Quantized Gaussian Random Projections" accepted in IEEE Transactions in Information Theory (arXiv:1406.0022).
- March 18, 2016: I've just given my last (over 6) SOCN doctoral course on "Compressive sensing of low-complexity signals: theory, algorithms and extensions". Slides available on the same page or here (Part 0, Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4).
- December 7-9, 2015: Invited speaker at the Second Workshop on Optimization for Image and Signal Processing (MAORI), Institut Henri Poincaré, Paris.
- November 17-20, 2015: Visiting IRISA/INRIA, in the team of Remi Gribonval. Seminar on "Consistent Basis Pursuit for Low-Complexity Signal Estimates in Quantized Compressed Sensing" and participation to the PhD "pré-soutenance" of Marwa Chaffi (CentraleSupélec, Rennes, France).
- November 2nd, 2015: The paper "Consistent Basis Pursuit for Signal and Matrix Estimates in Quantized Compressed Sensing", written by A. Moshtaghpour, L. Jacques, V. Cambareri, K. Degraux and C. De Vleeschouwer, has been accepted for publication in IEEE Signal Processing Letters! (see arXiv:1507.08268)
- July 30, 2015: New work: "Consistent Basis Pursuit for Signal and Matrix Estimates in Quantized Compressed Sensing" (or, "How to do QCS of low-rank matrices") by A. Moshtaghpour, L. Jacques, V. Cambareri, K. Degraux and C. De Vleeschouwer. Matlab demo code available here (this one uses the UnLocBox!).
- May 17-20, 2015: Stay at UniBo, Bologna, Italy. Talk on "Quantized compressed sensing and quasi-isometric embeddings" (pdf, url) and PhD jury participation for the thesis defense of V. Cambareri.
- April 24, 2015: New paper on "Small width, low distortions: quasi-isometric embeddings with quantized sub-Gaussian random projections" submitted. (arXiv:1504.06170)
- April 12-14, 2015: Stay at EPFL and PhD jury participation for the thesis defense of William Guicquero.
... (older news)
"Toute connaissance accessible doit être atteinte par des voies scientifiques ;
ce que la science ne peut pas découvrir, l’humanité ne peut pas le savoir".
-- Bertrand Russell
"Science sans conscience n'est que ruine de l'âme." -- F. Rabelais
"Pseudo-Science n'est que ruine de l'âme." Lisez AFIS