Applied Mathematics and Signal Processing
Senior Research Associate
Professor at UCLouvain
Institute of Information and Communication Technologies, Electronics and Applied Mathematics (ICTEAM)
Applied Mathematics Department (INMA)
Funded by the Belgian National Science Foundation - FRS-FNRS
+32 10 47 80 54 (fax: +32 10 47 20 89)
Image and Signal Processing Group (ISPGroup), ICTEAM/INMA
Office address: A.112, Euler building, Louvain-la-Neuve
Mail address: INMA/ICTEAM, Avenue Georges Lemaître 4-6/L4.05.01, B1348 Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium
Well, here is "yet another" scientific homepage ;-)
I collect in these pages data and recent news about my research and interests. These are also the result of collaborative works with other researchers. Feel free to discover these topics by browsing the menu here on the left, or on on Google Scholar.
Main fields of interest:
- Compressive sensing: theory and applications
- Computational imaging, with applications in optics, astronomy, and hyperspectral and biomedical imaging
- Regularized inverse problems solving, and data restoration problems.
- Low-complexity representation of data (such as sparse or low-rank models, wavelets, spherical data).
- Quantized and one-bit compressive sensing.
- Compressive Learning and compressive density estimation
Teaching & Services
PhD-students and postdocs (in link with these fields)
- Rémi Delogne (TA UCLouvain, 2020-)
- Olivier Leblanc (FNRS, 2020-)
- Dr Alexander Stollenwerk (PDR FNRS, 2020-)
- Thomas Feuillen (TA UCLouvain, 2015-, co-advised with L. Vandendorpe)
- Stéphanie Guérit (PhD-student, TA UCLouvain, co-advised with J. Lee, 2014-)
- Gilles Monnoyer de Galland de Carnières (PhD-student, FNRS, co-advised with L. Vandendorpe, 2019-)
- Vincent Schellekens (PhD-student, FNRS, 2017-)
Former PhD-students, researchers and postdocs
- Dr Benoît Pairet (2014-2020, FRIA/FNRS)
- Dr Pierre-Yves Gousenbourger (2014-2020, TA UCLouvain, co-advised with P.-A. Absil)
- Dr Wissam Benjilali (2015-2019, CEA-Leti, main advisors: G. Sicard, W. Guicquero)
- Dr Amirafshar Moshtaghpour (2015-2019, FRIA/FNRS)
- Dr Chunlei Xu (Postdoc, AlterSense Project, MIS-FNRS, 2016-2018)
- Dr Kévin Degraux (2013-2018, FNRS)
- Dr Valerio Cambareri (Postdoc, AlterSense Project, MIS-FNRS, 2015-2017)
- Dr Augustin Cosse (2010-2016, co-advised with L. Demanet)
- Dr Adriana Gonzalez Gonzalez (2010-2016, TA UCLouvain)
- Dr Prasad Sudhakar (2011-2014, Postdoc, DETROIT project)
- Alexandre Saint (2011-2012, engineer, DETROIT project)
- Muhammad Arsalan (2014, PhD-student)
- Feburary 4th, 2020: T. Feuillen and I are invited by T. Fromentèze in the seminars of the "Comité d'Animation Scientifique pour l'Interdisciplinarité" (CASI), Institut XLIM (Limoges, France). Giving a talk entitled "Keep the phase! Signal recovery in phase-only compressive sensing" (pdf slides, video)
- January 21th, 2021: Organizing and chairing a special session at EUSIPCO 2020 (Virtual Amsterdam) with Emrah Bostan (ams International AG, Switzerland), on the theme of "Computational Imaging in the Era of Learning: Imagers, Priors and Algorithms"
- December 2-4, 2020: Participation to iTWIST'20, with 5 papers and 1 talk (see here)
- October 2020: Two new PhD students join the team, Olivier Leblanc (FNRS), who'll work on computational imaging and deep learnign solutions for lensless endoscopy, and Rémi Delogne (TA UCLouvain), who'll work on random sketching techniques with optical processor units.
- October 1st, 2020: I've been promoted FNRS Senior Research Associate (aka Maître de Recherche) and Professor at UCLouvain.
- September 23th, 2020: PhD defense of Benoît Pairet on "Signal processing methods for high-contrast observation of planetary systems". Jury: Christophe Craeye (UCLouvain), Christophe De Vleeschouwer (UCLouvain), Olivier Absil (ULiège, Belgium), Faustine Cantalloube (MPIA, Germany), and I (co-advisor).
- September 22th, 2020: PhD defense of Pierre-Yves Gousenbourger on "Interpolation and fitting on Riemannian manifolds" (pdf). Jury: Prof. Pierre-Antoine Absil (co-advisor, UCLouvain), Jean-Pierre Raskin (UCLouvain), Jean-François Remacle (UCLouvain), Benedikt Wirth (Universität Münster, Germany), Gabriel Peyré (Ecole Normale Supérieure Paris, France), and I (advisor).
- July 16th, 2020: PhD Jury, C. Scotté, "Raman comprimé : développements et applications", Institut Fresnel (team of H. Rigneault), France.
- June 2020: One new postdoc in the team, Alexander Stollenwerk, who'll study the interplay between random embeddings, deep neural networks, and quantization.
- September 20th, 2019: Invited to give a keynote lecture on "Computational Fourier Transform Interferometry for Hyperspectral Imaging" (slides) in the Meeting on Image reconstruction of the network on "Turning images into value through statistical parameter estimation", UGhent, Belgium.
- May 28th, 2019: "Student Best Paper Runner-up" award at ISCAS'19 for the work of Wissam Benjilali (CEA, France) on "An Analog-to-Information VGA Image Sensor Architecture for Support Vector Machine on Compressive Measurements", cowritten with W. Guicquero, G. Sicard, and I.
- May 14-17, 2019: Attending ICASSP'19, Brighton, UK. Given an invited talk on "Compressive Single-pixel Fourier Transform Imaging using Structured Illumination" (joint work with A. Moshtaghpour and J. M. Bioucas Dias) at the special session "Recent Advances in Signal Processing for Large-Scale Computational Imaging", in ICASSP'19, Brighton, UK.
- February 2-8, 2019: Attending the International Biomedical and Astronomical Signal Processing (BASP) Frontiers workshop, Villars-sur-Ollon, Switzerland. Given an invited talk on "Structured Illumination and Variable Density Sampling for Compressive Fourier Transform Interferometry", joint work with A. Moshtaghpour.
- November 19-23, 2018: As a member of the scientific Ooganizing committee, attending the 4th "iTWIST: international Traveling Workshop on Interactions between low-complexity data models and Sensing Techniques" (iTWIST'18) in Marseille, France. Giving a 3h-doctoral course on "Quantized compressed sensing and related data embeddings".
- October 28th-November 2th, 2018: Invited speaker at Intersection of Information Theory and Signal Processing: New Signal Models, their Information Content and Acquisition Complexity, Banff International Research Station, Canada. Giving a talk on "Dithered quantized compressive sensing with arbitrary RIP matrices".
- October 7-10, 2018: Attending IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP18), October 7-10, 2018, Athens, Greece. Giving a tutorial on "Geometry-preserving Embeddings: Dimensionality Reduction Techniques for Information Representation" with Petros Boufounos.
- August 28, 2018: Invited in the Theory and Algorithms in Data Science (TADS) seminar organized by by H. Tyagi and M. Cucuringu in the Alan Turing Institute (London, UK). Giving a talk on "Time for dithering! Quantized random embeddings with RIP random matrices".
- June 10-13, 2018: Invited to the special session "Signal and Information Processing with Coarsely Quantized Data" organized by M. Stein and Lee Swindlehurst at 2018 IEEE Statistical Signal Processing Workshop (SSP). Contribution: "Taking the edge off quantization: projected back projection in dithered compressive sensing" by C. Xu, V. Schellekens, and I.
- May 14-18, 2018: Invited speaker at ICCHA7 (May 14-18, 2018, Vanderbilt U., TN, USA). Talk on "Quantized Compressive Sensing with RIP Matrices: The Benefit of Dithering".
- May 2nd, 2018: Invited to give a talk on "Time for dithering! Quantized random embeddings with RIP random matrices" (slides in pdf and youtube video) at the Second Mini-workshop on "The Future of Random Projections" organized by Igor Carron (LightOn, Paris), Laurent Daudet (Paris Diderot & LightOn, Paris) and Florent Krzakala (ENS and LightOn, Paris).
- March 5-9, 2018: Invited by Simon Foucart for a short scientific stay at Texas A&M University. Giving a seminar on "Time for dithering! Quantized random embeddings with RIP random matrices" (slides here).
- December 18th, 2017: C. De Vleeschouwer and I have been awarded the 45th "de Boelpaepe" prize (2015-2016) by the Académie royale des sciences, des lettres et des beaux-arts de Belgique (Royal Academy of Science, Letters and Fine Arts of Belgium) for our scientific research on image processing with wavelet analysis and sparsity methods.
- December 12th, 2017: Invited speaker at "Journée thématique conjointe IEEE-CAS et GDR/SOC2 (SoC-SiP), 12 Décembre 2017, ParisTech", Paris, France.
Talk on "A quantized view on compressive sensing systems and compressive learning methods" (slides here)
- October 18th, 2017: Public PhD defense of (now Dr) Kévin Degraux on “Methods fr Solving Regularized Inverse Problems”. Congrats to him!
- August 30th, 2017: Organizing the Workshop on "Regularized Inverse Problem Solving and High-Dimensional Learning Methods". Plenary speakers: G. Peyré (ENS, Paris, France) and U. Kamilov (WUSTL, USA).
- July 3-7, 2017: Attending Sampta17, Tallinn, Estonia. Invited in the special session "Mathematical theory of quantization" organized by Sjoerd Dirksen and Rayan Saab. I gave a talk entitled "The Rare Eclipse Problem on Tiles: Quantized Embeddings of Disjoint Convex Sets" (joint work with V. Cambareri and C. Xu). See also arXiv:1702.04664 for the corresponding preprint.
- June 5-8, 2017: Attending SPARS17 (with 3 collaborative contributions)
... (older news)
"Toute connaissance accessible doit être atteinte par des voies scientifiques ;
ce que la science ne peut pas découvrir, l’humanité ne peut pas le savoir".
-- Bertrand Russell
"Science sans conscience n'est que ruine de l'âme." -- F. Rabelais
"Pseudo-Science n'est que ruine de l'âme." Lisez AFIS