Applied Mathematics and Signal Processing
Senior Research Associate
Professor at UCLouvain
Institute of Information and Communication Technologies, Electronics and Applied Mathematics (ICTEAM)
Applied Mathematics Department (INMA)
Funded by the Belgian National Science Foundation - FRS-FNRS
+32 10 47 80 54 (fax: +32 10 47 20 89)
Image and Signal Processing Group (ISPGroup), ICTEAM/INMA
Office address: A.026, Euler building, Louvain-la-Neuve
Mail address: INMA/ICTEAM, Avenue Georges Lemaître 4-6/L4.05.01, B1348 Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium
Well, here is "yet another" scientific homepage ;-)
I collect in these pages data and recent news about my research and interests. These are also the result of collaborative works with other researchers. Feel free to discover these topics by browsing the menu here on the left, or on on Google Scholar.
Main fields of interest:
- Inverse problems solving by promoting low-complexity signal models (e.g., sparse or low-rank models).
- 1-bit and high-resolution Quantized Compressed Sensing (QCS).
- Quantized random projections: theory and application (e.g., for machine learning or classification methods).
- Blind deconvolution, blind calibration and other data restoration problems
- Applied mathematics for Optics (Deflectometry), Astronomy (Radio-Interferometry) and biomedical applications (X-Ray Imaging).
- New models for sensor design (e.g., cameras, optical sensors, tomography, hyperspectral imaging).
- Representation of data on "non-conventional" spaces (e.g., sphere, manifolds, or graphs).
Teaching & Services
PhD-students and postdocs (in link with these fields)
- Stéphanie Guérit (PhD-student, TA UCL, co-advised with J. Lee, 2014-)
- Pierre-Yves Gousenbourger (PhD-student, TA UCL, co-advised with P.-A. Absil, 2014-)
- Gilles Monnoyer de Galland de Carnières (PhD-student, FNRS, co-advised with L. Vandendorpe, 2019-)
- Benoît Pairet (PhD-student, FRIA/FNRS, 2014-)
- Vincent Schellekens (PhD-student, FNRS, 2017-)
Former PhD-students, researchers and postdocs
- Dr Wissam Benjilali (2015-2019, CEA-Leti, main advisors: G. Sicard, W. Guicquero)
- Dr Amirafshar Moshtaghpour (2015-2019, FRIA/FNRS)
- Dr Chunlei Xu (Postdoc, AlterSense Project, MIS-FNRS, 2016-2018)
- Dr Kévin Degraux (2013-2018, FNRS)
- Dr Valerio Cambareri (Postdoc, AlterSense Project, MIS-FNRS, 2015-2017)
- Dr Augustin Cosse (2010-2016, co-advised with L. Demanet)
- Dr Adriana Gonzalez Gonzalez (2010-2016)
- Dr Prasad Sudhakar (2011-2014, Postdoc, DETROIT project)
- Alexandre Saint (2011-2012, engineer, DETROIT project)
- Muhammad Arsalan (2014, PhD-student)
- January 6th, 2020: Open postdoctoral position available in my group in the field of computational imaging and (deep) learning!
Check the job description for details and feel free to forward it to interested persons.
- September 20th, 2019: Invited to give a keynote lecture on "Computational Fourier Transform Interferometry for Hyperspectral Imaging" (slides) in the Meeting on Image reconstruction of the network on "Turning images into value through statistical parameter estimation", UGhent, Belgium.
- May 28th, 2019: "Student Best Paper Runner-up" award at ISCAS'19 for the work of Wissam Benjilali (CEA, France) on "An Analog-to-Information VGA Image Sensor Architecture for Support Vector Machine on Compressive Measurements", cowritten with W. Guicquero, G. Sicard, and I.
- May 14-17, 2019: Attending ICASSP'19, Brighton, UK. Given an invited talk on "Compressive Single-pixel Fourier Transform Imaging using Structured Illumination" (joint work with A. Moshtaghpour and J. M. Bioucas Dias) at the special session "Recent Advances in Signal Processing for Large-Scale Computational Imaging", in ICASSP'19, Brighton, UK.
- February 2-8, 2019: Attending the International Biomedical and Astronomical Signal Processing (BASP) Frontiers workshop, Villars-sur-Ollon, Switzerland. Given an invited talk on "Structured Illumination and Variable Density Sampling for Compressive Fourier Transform Interferometry", joint work with A. Moshtaghpour.
- November 19-23, 2018: As a member of the scientific Ooganizing committee, attending the 4th "iTWIST: international Traveling Workshop on Interactions between low-complexity data models and Sensing Techniques" (iTWIST'18) in Marseille, France. Giving a 3h-doctoral course on "Quantized compressed sensing and related data embeddings".
- October 28th-November 2th, 2018: Invited speaker at Intersection of Information Theory and Signal Processing: New Signal Models, their Information Content and Acquisition Complexity, Banff International Research Station, Canada. Giving a talk on "Dithered quantized compressive sensing with arbitrary RIP matrices".
- October 7-10, 2018: Attending IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP18), October 7-10, 2018, Athens, Greece. Giving a tutorial on "Geometry-preserving Embeddings: Dimensionality Reduction Techniques for Information Representation" with Petros Boufounos.
- August 28, 2018: Invited in the Theory and Algorithms in Data Science (TADS) seminar organized by by H. Tyagi and M. Cucuringu in the Alan Turing Institute (London, UK). Giving a talk on "Time for dithering! Quantized random embeddings with RIP random matrices".
- June 10-13, 2018: Invited to the special session "Signal and Information Processing with Coarsely Quantized Data" organized by M. Stein and Lee Swindlehurst at 2018 IEEE Statistical Signal Processing Workshop (SSP). Contribution: "Taking the edge off quantization: projected back projection in dithered compressive sensing" by C. Xu, V. Schellekens, and I.
- May 14-18, 2018: Invited speaker at ICCHA7 (May 14-18, 2018, Vanderbilt U., TN, USA). Talk on "Quantized Compressive Sensing with RIP Matrices: The Benefit of Dithering".
- May 2nd, 2018: Invited to give a talk on "Time for dithering! Quantized random embeddings with RIP random matrices" (slides in pdf and youtube video) at the Second Mini-workshop on "The Future of Random Projections" organized by Igor Carron (LightOn, Paris), Laurent Daudet (Paris Diderot & LightOn, Paris) and Florent Krzakala (ENS and LightOn, Paris).
- March 5-9, 2018: Invited by Simon Foucart for a short scientific stay at Texas A&M University. Giving a seminar on "Time for dithering! Quantized random embeddings with RIP random matrices" (slides here).
- December 18th, 2017: C. De Vleeschouwer and I have been awarded the 45th "de Boelpaepe" prize (2015-2016) by the Académie royale des sciences, des lettres et des beaux-arts de Belgique (Royal Academy of Science, Letters and Fine Arts of Belgium) for our scientific research on image processing with wavelet analysis and sparsity methods.
- December 12th, 2017: Invited speaker at "Journée thématique conjointe IEEE-CAS et GDR/SOC2 (SoC-SiP), 12 Décembre 2017, ParisTech", Paris, France.
Talk on "A quantized view on compressive sensing systems and compressive learning methods" (slides here)
- October 18th, 2017: Public PhD defense of (now Dr) Kévin Degraux on “Methods fr Solving Regularized Inverse Problems”. Congrats to him!
- August 30th, 2017: Organizing the Workshop on "Regularized Inverse Problem Solving and High-Dimensional Learning Methods". Plenary speakers: G. Peyré (ENS, Paris, France) and U. Kamilov (WUSTL, USA).
- July 3-7, 2017: Attending Sampta17, Tallinn, Estonia. Invited in the special session "Mathematical theory of quantization" organized by Sjoerd Dirksen and Rayan Saab. I gave a talk entitled "The Rare Eclipse Problem on Tiles: Quantized Embeddings of Disjoint Convex Sets" (joint work with V. Cambareri and C. Xu). See also arXiv:1702.04664 for the corresponding preprint.
- June 5-8, 2017: Attending SPARS17 (with 3 collaborative contributions)
- March 7, 2017: Organizing with Petros Boufounos the special session "SS-L10: Random Embeddings and Geometry-Preserving Dimensionality Reduction" at ICASSP'17, New Orleans, USA.
- February 16, 2017: Giving a talk at the URSI Forum (RMA, Belgium) on "A short introduction to compressive sensing, its applications and relatives".
- November 16, 2016: Organizing in UCL the regular workshop "FNRS Wavelet Contact Group on Wavelet and Applications" this time dedicated to random binary embeddings, compressive sensing and signal sampling on graphs, thanks to the invitation of Sjoerd Dirksen (RWTHAachen, Germany) and Gilles Puy (Technicolor, Rennes, France), the two plenary speakers.
- October 13, 2016: Public PhD defense of Augustin Cosse on "Semidefinite programming relaxations for matrix completion, inverse scattering and blind deconvolution" (picture of the day). Congrats to Dr Cosse!
- October 4-7, 2016: Visiting IRISA/INRIA, in the team of Remi Gribonval. Seminar on "A simple gradient descent algorithm for blind gain calibration of randomized sensing devices" and participation to the PhD "soutenance" of Marwa Chaffi (CentraleSupélec, Rennes, France).
- September 19-22, 2016: Invited speaker at CoSeRA 2016, Aachen, Germany. Talk on "A Non-Convex Blind Calibration Method for Randomised Sensing Strategies" (pdf slides), work done in collaboration with Valerio Cambareri.
... (older news)
"Toute connaissance accessible doit être atteinte par des voies scientifiques ;
ce que la science ne peut pas découvrir, l’humanité ne peut pas le savoir".
-- Bertrand Russell
"Science sans conscience n'est que ruine de l'âme." -- F. Rabelais
"Pseudo-Science n'est que ruine de l'âme." Lisez AFIS