Applied Mathematics and Signal Processing
Professor at UCLouvain
Institute of Information and Communication Technologies, Electronics and Applied Mathematics (ICTEAM)
Funded by the Belgian National Science Foundation - FRS-FNRS
+32 10 47 81 24 (fax: +32 10 47 20 89)
Office A.157 (1st floor)
ISPGroup, ICTEAM/ELEN, Stévin,
Place du Levant 2, PO box L5.04.04
Well, here is "yet another" scientific homepage ;-)
I collect in these pages data and recent news about my research and interests. These are also the result of collaborative works with other researchers. Feel free to discover these topics by browsing the menu here on the left, or on on Google Scholar.
Main fields of interest:
- Inverse problems solving by promoting a sparse signal models.
- 1-bit and high-resolution Quantized Compressed Sensing (QCS).
- Quantized random projections: theory and application (e.g., for Physical Unclonable Function - PUF)
- Applied mathematics for Optics (Deflectometry), Astronomy (Radio-Interferometry) and biomedical applications (X-Ray Imaging).
- New models for sensor design (e.g., cameras, optical sensors, tomography, hyperspectral imaging).
- Representation of data on "non-conventional" spaces (e.g., sphere, manifolds, or graphs).
PhD-students and postdocs (in link with these fields)
- Valerio Cambareri (Postdoc, AlterSense Project, MIS-FNRS)
- Kévin Degraux (PhD-student)
- Stéphanie Guérit (PhD-student, co-advised with J. Lee)
- Pierre-Yves Gousenbourger (PhD-student, co-advised with P.-A. Absil)
- Amirafshar Moshtaghpour (PhD-student, co-advised with C. De Vleeschouwer)
- Benoît Pairet (PhD-student, AlterSense Project, MIS-FNRS)
- Chunlei Xu (Postdoc, AlterSense Project, MIS-FNRS)
Former PhD-students and postdocs
- Dr Augustin Cosse (2010-2016, co-advised with L. Demanet)
- Dr Adriana Gonzalez Gonzalez (2010-2016)
- Dr Prasad Sudhakar (2011-2014, Postdoc, DETROIT project)
- Alexandre Saint (2011-2012, engineer, DETROIT project)
- Muhammad Arsalan (2014, PhD-student)
- July 3-7, 2017: Attending Sampta17, Tallinn, Estonia. Invited in the special session "Mathematical theory of quantization" organized by Sjoerd Dirksen and Rayan Saab. I gave a talk entitled "The Rare Eclipse Problem on Tiles: Quantized Embeddings of Disjoint Convex Sets" (joint work with V. Cambareri and C. Xu). See also arXiv:1702.04664 for the corresponding preprint.
- June 5-8, 2017: Attending SPARS17 (with 3 collaborative contributions)
- March 7, 2017: Organizing with Petros Boufounos the special session "SS-L10: Random Embeddings and Geometry-Preserving Dimensionality Reduction" at ICASSP'17, New Orleans, USA.
- February 16, 2017: Giving a talk at the URSI Forum (RMA, Belgium) on "A short introduction to compressive sensing, its applications and relatives".
- November 16, 2016: Organizing in UCL the regular workshop "FNRS Wavelet Contact Group on Wavelet and Applications" this time dedicated to random binary embeddings, compressive sensing and signal sampling on graphs, thanks to the invitation of Sjoerd Dirksen (RWTHAachen, Germany) and Gilles Puy (Technicolor, Rennes, France), the two plenary speakers.
- October 13, 2016: Public PhD defense of Augustin Cosse on "Semidefinite programming relaxations for matrix completion, inverse scattering and blind deconvolution" (picture of the day). Congrats to Dr Cosse!
- October 4-7, 2016: Visiting IRISA/INRIA, in the team of Remi Gribonval. Seminar on "A simple gradient descent algorithm for blind gain calibration of randomized sensing devices" and participation to the PhD "soutenance" of Marwa Chaffi (CentraleSupélec, Rennes, France).
- September 19-22, 2016: Invited speaker at CoSeRA 2016, Aachen, Germany. Talk on "A Non-Convex Blind Calibration Method for Randomised Sensing Strategies" (pdf slides), work done in collaboration with Valerio Cambareri.
- September 12th, 2016: 3 works submitted to ICASSP'17, New Orleans, USA (see here).
- September 8-9, 2016: Attending RBSM16 (Brussels, Belgium) with one poster on "Coded-Illumination Fourier Transform Interferometry", by A. Moshtaghpour (the presenter), V. Cambareri, K. Degraux, A. Gonzalez, M. Roblin, L. Jacques, and P. Antoine.
- August 24-26, 2016: Six (!) works accepted and presented by the members of ISPGroup in the 3rd "international Traveling Workshop on Interactions between Sparse models and Technology (iTWIST)", Aalborg, Denmark, 2016 (see here).
- July 5th, 2016: New paper submitted: "Time for dithering: fast and quantized random embeddings via the restricted isometry property", joint work with Valerio Cambareri.
- May 13, 2016: Public PhD defense of Adriana Gonzalez on "Solving Inverse Problems in Imaging using Robust and Regularized Optimization" (picture of the day). Congrats to Dr Gonzalez!
- May 9, 2016: New work: "A Non-Convex Blind Calibration Method for Randomised Sensing Strategies", by Valerio Cambareri and I, submitted to CoSeRa16 (arXiv:1605.02615, updated on May 19th)
- April 17, 2016: "Error Decay of (almost) Consistent Signal Estimations from Quantized Gaussian Random Projections" accepted in IEEE Transactions in Information Theory (arXiv:1406.0022).
- March 18, 2016: I've just given my last (over 6) SOCN doctoral course on "Compressive sensing of low-complexity signals: theory, algorithms and extensions". Slides available on the same page or here (Part 0, Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4).
- December 7-9, 2015: Invited speaker at the Second Workshop on Optimization for Image and Signal Processing (MAORI), Institut Henri Poincaré, Paris.
- November 17-20, 2015: Visiting IRISA/INRIA, in the team of Remi Gribonval. Seminar on "Consistent Basis Pursuit for Low-Complexity Signal Estimates in Quantized Compressed Sensing" and participation to the PhD "pré-soutenance" of Marwa Chaffi (CentraleSupélec, Rennes, France).
- November 2nd, 2015: The paper "Consistent Basis Pursuit for Signal and Matrix Estimates in Quantized Compressed Sensing", written by A. Moshtaghpour, L. Jacques, V. Cambareri, K. Degraux and C. De Vleeschouwer, has been accepted for publication in IEEE Signal Processing Letters! (see arXiv:1507.08268)
- July 30, 2015: New work: "Consistent Basis Pursuit for Signal and Matrix Estimates in Quantized Compressed Sensing" (or, "How to do QCS of low-rank matrices") by A. Moshtaghpour, L. Jacques, V. Cambareri, K. Degraux and C. De Vleeschouwer. Matlab demo code available here (this one uses the UnLocBox!).
- May 17-20, 2015: Stay at UniBo, Bologna, Italy. Talk on "Quantized compressed sensing and quasi-isometric embeddings" (pdf, url) and PhD jury participation for the thesis defense of V. Cambareri.
- April 24, 2015: New paper on "Small width, low distortions: quasi-isometric embeddings with quantized sub-Gaussian random projections" submitted. (arXiv:1504.06170)
- April 12-14, 2015: Stay at EPFL and PhD jury participation for the thesis defense of William Guicquero.
- March 19, 2015: PhD jury participation for the thesis defense of D.D. Ariananda, TU-Delft, Nederlands.
- January 27-29, 2015: Invited by Prof. Holger Rauhut in his group (RWTH, Aachen, Germany). Giving a talk on "Compressed sensing, quantization and quasi-isometric embeddings".
- January 8, 2015: Giving a short course on "What can we learn from Compressed Sensing in sensor design?" in FETCH2015 French winter school (UCL, Belgium).
- December 2014: New paper on "Non-parametric PSF estimation from celestial transit solar images using blind deconvolution" submitted by A. Gonzalez, with V. Delouille (SIDC/ROB, Belgium) and I. arXiv:1412.6279.
- December 2014: Honored to have been awarded a "Incentive Grant for Scientific Research (MIS)" by the Belgian FNRS. Project title: "AlterSense: Computational Sensing Strategies for Low-Complexity Signal Models".
- November 19, 2014: Invited for a presentation entitled "Observing the transparency: Compressive optical deflectometry and refractive index imaging" (pdf slides), for the "Journée conjointe GDR STIC SANTE/GDR ISIS/Labex PRIMES" on "Représentations parcimonieuses, échantillonnage compressé et imagerie médicale" at INSA, Lyon, France.
... (older news)
"Toute connaissance accessible doit être atteinte par des voies scientifiques ;
ce que la science ne peut pas découvrir, l’humanité ne peut pas le savoir".
-- Bertrand Russell
"Science sans conscience n'est que ruine de l'âme." -- F. Rabelais
"Pseudo-Science n'est que ruine de l'âme." Lisez AFIS